Walk-in tubs – that is, tubs with a step-through door located in the side-wall and an integrated seat inside – are being aggressively marketed to seniors and persons with disabilities. There is often a stark contrast, however, between the dream of owning a walk-in tub and the reality of doing so. The Dream You might […]
What is an Accessible Bathroom? Accessible Bathrooms promote ease of entry, exit, and performance of vital daily tasks by people of all ages and ability levels – up to and including bathroom users who rely on walkers or wheelchairs for mobility. Creating a bathroom that can be accessed by everyone is achieved through a carefully […]
Ample Clear Floor Space plays a vital role in achieving an effective, functional, accessible bathroom. In order for a person using a walker or wheelchair to successfully approach and use all the bathroom amenities (toilet, sink, shower, bathtub, closet, window controls, light switches, etc.), sufficient Clear Floor Space must be present: adjacent to each fixture/amenity […]
Help! I can’t get Up. What if you find yourself on the floor — unable to get up? This is a very scary predicament to find yourself in, especially if you live alone. The inability to get up is just the first problem. Each passing hour spent on the floor more and more problems will […]
Ah! A luxurious, invigorating shower, the feeling of warm, soothing water coursing over your tired, aching joints – at the mere turn of a knob – how marvelous! Most of us take this luxury for granted and have a hard time imagining how the common 16 inch bathtub wall or the 4 inch wall of […]
Articles that discuss accessible home modifications are frequently accompanied by a list of “great resources to contact for home modification funding”, giving readers the optimistic sense that if they just invest a little time, there is a good chance they can get some financial assistance for making their home more accessible. Over the years we […]
- Buying A Walk-In Bathtub – Your Biggest Mistake? January 2014
- Getting In & Out of the Bathtub: Benches, Lifts, and Transfer Chairs December 2013
- Accessible Bathtubs: An Amazing Diversity! November 2013
- Falls – Equipment to Help You Get Up Again December 2013
- How to get up from the floor after a fall – MacGyver Style! February 2014
age at home aging-in-place barrier-free shower bath chair for disabled bath lift bathroom bath seat bath seat for disabled bath seat for elderly bath seat for handicap bath seat rotates bathtub bathtub chair bathtub for seniors bathtub lift curbless shower disabled elevated toilet seat fall injury fall prevention fall prevention tips fall recovery falls handicap handicap bathroom remodel handicap bathtub handicap shower homeability home ability I've fallen and I can't get up lifts lighting live at home live at home forever make home safer for seniors Safety senior citizens seniors toilet pedestal toilet riser tub tub seat tub with door in wall walk in tub walk in tub complaints
- Rhonda Bonecutter says: The personal experience you shared will help to open more people's...
- Rhonda Bonecutter says: Thanks for sharing! Yes.The large jacuzzi, whirlpool style, Japanese-style bathtubs are...
- Laura D. says: I'm 70+ and really like to take baths. A conventional tub...
- Valerie Green says: I bought a walk in shower/bath with a door. A...
- Rhonda Bonecutter says: Hello! We are happy to learn you found the information beneficial.
Getting up after a Fall!